4 Levels of patience
1. Patience with ibada (worship).
2. Patience with avoiding sins.
3. Patience with tribulations and we show this by being content with the decree of Allah.
4. Patience with blessings, we show this by thanking Allah for all the blessings He has given us.
When things get really bad, know that things will get better.
The Sahaba (companions) of the Prophet sallaAllahu ‘alayhi wasalam used to say that when they were in trepidation, they knew bad/hard things will be coming their way, and when bad things happened, they knew that good things will be coming their way.
If someone commits to the practice of surrendering and sabr (patience), over time the tribulations become easy and they no longer feel the tribulation.
‘We will test you until we see who is patient’- to see what you are made out of. The struggle and patience go together. The best attitude to have is patience.
Patience takes time and effort. Over time you can acquire this natural state.
– Shaykh Hamza Yusuf (Summarized ) from the 2011 Rihla